I had no clue that Chelo Kebab is the national dish of Iran before I came to the UK. Like every other Indian Bengali, to me Chelo Kebab was this popular kebab platter served by the popular restaurant Peter Cat in Park Street, Kolkata. One day when I was reminiscing about it with a friend, I decided to make it for my friends that weekend. It’s a really simple and fast recipe, perfect for weekend meals with friends.
Boneless skinless chicken,
Minced meat (mutton, lamb, beef or turkey),
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with ginger & garlic paste, yoghurt, lime juice, oil and tandoori paste for 2 hours. Put the chicken pieces into skewers alternating between onions and green bell peppers (optional). Cook the chicken kebab in the oven at 200 degree C for 20 min (or until cooked).
2. Marinate the minced meat with ginger & garlic paste, lime juice, finely chopped onion , finely chopped green chillies and coriander leaves, oil, egg, salt for 2 hours. Marinate for at least 2 hours for the best taste. Bake the meat kebabs in oven for 200 degree C until cooked through or shallow fry using a frying pan.
3. Put a little bit of oil and salt in sliced vine tomatoes, sliced small aubergines, sliced onion rings and grill in oven at 200 degree C.
4. Cook the rice and add butter, salt, pepper and chopped parsley leaves.
5. Serve the kebabs, grilled vegetables with the rice.